Web illustrations add visual appeal to a site and help users understand site content faster. They are, however, difficult to create if you are not a designer. Luckily, there are several stock sites where you can get ready-made artwork for free.
Here’s a rundown of 13 of the best you can use.
Humaaans is a mix-and-match design library for people illustrations. The illustrations are vector, which means they adapt well to different screen sizes.
- Humaaans illustrations are customizable (up to a limit). The website defines its design elements as “Legos made of flesh…and vectors.” You can create custom artwork by rotating and moving different elements as you wish. There are customization options for hairstyles, clothing types, and pose whether you want the person to be standing or sitting.
- Apart from designing people, you can add elements to an illustration and create different scenes by adding background graphics, plants, or other characters.
- Humaaans artwork is free for personal and commercial use.
theme-ui is a collection of handpicked illustrations suitable for different scenarios. You can choose illustration for different industries like music, health, wellness, e-learning, etc.
- The illustrations of theme-ui are grouped according to scenarios and are already made unlike those of the Humaaans site. You can search for the scenario you want and then download the artwork pack.
- All theme-ui artwork can be used for personal and commercial projects for free.
- The site offers the possibility to buy premium illustrations.
ManyPixels offers over 2500 royalty free illustrations for your website, blog post, landing page or other digital graphics.
- All artwork is customizable by color, making it easy to create a cohesive website. You can create a color palette in adobe illustrator then find the corresponding illustrations in ManyPixels.
- Illustrations can be searched by category or by type. For example, you can search for outline illustrations in the tech category.
- ManyPixels artwork is free to use for personal and commercial projects.
Lukasz Adam provides free SVG artwork for personal and commercial use. The illustrations are grouped by type, but you must download them all at once.
- All illustrations are downloadable in SVG.
- Illustrations are compatible with Figma, Adobe XD and Sketch.
- You are allowed to modify the illustrations as you wish. You can change the colors and cut out some parts.
- Illustrations are free for personal and commercial use.
Ouch illustrations are trendy 3D and vector illustrations created by Icons8. All characters are drawn in a flat style. The illustrations are very expressive, so if you’re looking for a design with lots of personality, this is the one!
- Illustrations are grouped by category. You can search the website for ones that match your brand and industry.
- All artwork files are free for personal and commercial use, but attribution is required.
- If you want to use an illustration without attribution, buy it or purchase a subscription.
Drawkit offers free hand drawn vector illustrations for your websites, apps, and other graphics. The site updates the illustrations weekly, so you can always come up with new ideas for your project.
- Drawkit’s illustrations look hand-drawn, offering a more personal touch.
- Illustrations are grouped into packs such as work from home, digital marketing, or device mockups, so you can easily download the ones that suit your needs.
- Most of the artwork is free for personal and commercial use, while some is hidden behind a paywall.
Undraw offers free SVG artwork that matches your brand identity. The illustrations are mostly made up of people doing different things. By default, illustrations follow a blue, black, and white theme.
- Undraw’s illustrations are customizable by color. You can change the color by choosing the one you prefer in the upper right corner of the website.
- The illustrations are downloadable in SVG or PNG formats.
- All artwork is free for personal and commercial use
Charco illustrations are a set of 16 handmade illustrations for web and app projects. PNG files are free for personal and commercial use. However, to customize the artwork, you need to purchase the PSD files. If you don’t have Adobe PhotoShop, here is a useful list of other ways to open PSD files.
Stubborn is a platform that allows you to generate different illustrated scenes by combining different characters, colors, backgrounds and other variations.
- You compose your own illustrations. The website provides all the elements, and it’s up to you to get creative with them.
- You can use Figma or Sketch to customize stubborn artwork.
- Stubborn also provides ready-to-use paid illustration packs.
- Illustrations are free for personal and commercial use.
Open Doodles is a library of free sketchy illustrations created by the same person who created Humaaans, Pablo Stanley. If you want a more hand-drawn look, this is the bookshelf to use.
- The illustrations follow a black, white and pink color scheme. However, you can customize the colors with the pro version.
- The site offers different variations of the same doodle, such as lying down, relaxing, or jumping.
- Illustrations are in PNG or SVG format.
- All artwork is free for personal and commercial use.
The Illustrations website provides a set of over 100 free open-source illustrations that you can use for landing pages, web apps, mobile apps, and other digital content. You can also import these files directly into Figma files as SVG or vector files through the Figma Illustrations plugin.
- Illustrations are highly customizable. As mentioned, you can import the illustrations into Figma and edit them as needed.
- All artwork is downloadable in PNG, SVG, AI or EPS format.
- Its use is completely free for personal and commercial projects.
Interfacer offers a collection of over 300 design resources, including artwork from different designers. Just search for artwork in the search box at the top of the homepage.
- Interfacer’s artwork is from different designers, so they all have different styles.
- You will find that the artwork is hosted in different places, and you will be redirected once you choose the pack you want.
- Illustrations are free to use in personal and commercial projects.
uigoodies is a hub for design resources. While most of the websites listed above only provide artwork, uigoodies gathers all design resources from everywhere and organizes them in one place. You must use the search bar to search for illustrations. The website has both free and paid resources, and it’s up to you to filter which ones are paid.
Improve your website with free illustrations
Illustrations can add life to a website and the best thing is that you can get them online for free from the stock sites above. With sites like Undraw, you can specify the color of the artwork and match it to your brand. Also, if you want to customize the illustrations and choose the elements that compose them, you can always use the Stubborn generator.
For future illustrations, you might decide to create them yourself. There’s a ton of design software you can use to do this.